Thursday, October 7, 2010

10 Year Reunion

This last weekend(if you can believe it)was my 10 year High School Reunion!  Now officially I didn't graduate from the particular HS that this was for because I ended up switching HS my Junior year, but I went to school with the people from NHS for several years, from 3rd grade to Sophomore year.  For me, it felt like I was a part of the class.  Especially since my friend JC(pictured with me above)and I still hang out and talk like old times!  I also have several other friends from NHS that I'm also still in contact with.

Honestly, back in the days when I was at CMS and NHS, I was teased, picked on and had several untrue rumors spread about me.  Mainly because of a certain girl in a grade below me, was jealous and she made sure to make my life difficult.  Thankfully she is also someone that I'll never see again or ever care to see again.  To put it plainly, I did not enjoy my childhood/teenage years.  Without getting into specifics, I was thankful for the friends I did have and still do have!  You know "true" friends when they stick with you over 15 plus years!  They know me better than just about anyone, except my Husband perhaps ;)

Given my past experiences, you probably guessed how nervous I was to go back.  Or even ask why I would want to!  I think part of me just wanted to see how everyone had turned out.  I know I've changed a lot, of course given what has happened in the last 10 years(seriously could last me a lifetime), how could I not change?!  After all, if I've changed, surely they have to.  Right?  Well honestly I don't know.  For the few I spoke to, I enjoyed.  Honestly when my friend JC and I arrived at the Reunion dinner, sans kids(best part!), all my nervousness had passed.  I realized that they are all just people!  We were all awkward and some were nervous.  Amazing!  For me it has finally put the hurts and pains of the past behind me and now I feel like I can finally figure out who I am.  I've also decided that all that pain I put up with growing up really has made me stronger!  It also has given me the ability to read people!

It's funny to get all of this from a Reunion.  Basically put, I'm glad I faced my past head on and truly enjoyed the experience.  This experience also brought back a lot of good memories that I had forgotten.  It brings back the old saying that you always hear, it's easier to remember the negative than it is to remember the positive.  So true!  I can't wait until the next Reunion, if they'll have me!  Also a huge thank you to my bestie JC for going with me!  I enjoyed spending all day Saturday with you sans kids, it was like old times.  Some things never change and I'm thankful for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment